Saturday, August 15

Masterchef in the Making?

This is an article I did for class:
(A profile written based on my groupmate, Phik Munn through interviewed conducted in class)


A foodie is a perfect way to describe Phik Munn Wong, age 21, an aspiring international student from Malaysia pursuing a Bachelor of Communications (Professional Communication) in RMIT University, Melbourne.

Cooking had been part of Phik Munn’s life since she was just a toddler.
“I love food because my grandmother was a really good cook and she had always provided me with delicacies since I was young. This was what that had inspired me to learn how to cook and it eventually became part of me,” Phik Munn said.

It was like a second nature for Phik Munn to cook. To her, a simple meal is made of three dishes and one soup and all made in a mere hour. So what made this young chef pursue a degree in communication, rather than a culinary arts profession?

During the progression of her Diploma in Mass Communication program, she found an interest in journalism and it had dawned to her that being a food critique for magazine was a prospective career.

“I want to be a food critique for lifestyle magazines and if that goes wrong, I want to establish my own restaurant,” she said.

That was another plan she had in mind besides being a food critique. Phik Munn expressed that her dream restaurant would be a boutique restaurant for both human and pets alike. In the restaurant, she would want to have menus for both human and pets, dogs in particular as she is a huge dog lover.

She also said that if she gets a chance of obtaining permanent residency in Australia, she would definitely try out for “Master Chef”, an Australian cooking reality show in Channel Ten.

“Poh, the second runner-up was my idol because she is both Malaysian and Chinese who succeed in being one of the best possible newcomers in the world of culinary,” Phik Munn said.

But, ultimately Phik Munn wants to return to her home country where her friends and family resides. She said that she would start off her career in Malaysia if possible in either being a food critique or a chef.

Personally I hope to see her soar sky high in her career whether as a critique for media or owner of a fabulous restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment